Please sign on below as an individual or organization to give the public and opportunity to speak on DTE's rate hike. If you are signing as an organization, please include an attachment of your logo in the endorsement.
The undersigned organizations and individuals write to request public hearings consistent with the Open Meetings Act on the current DTE Electric Rate Case (case number U-20561) to be held in Detroit and other frontline communities.
In April 2019, the Michigan Public Service Commission hosted a public hearing on the Integrated Resource Plan for DTE Energy at Wayne County Community College- Downtown Campus. Residents and consumers of DTE Energy turned out to vocalize their opinions for the need to increase renewable energy and affordability in the service territory, many requesting to MPSC to reject the DTE IRP.
We commend the Commission for offering low-income rate payers and grassroots advocates the opportunity to speak directly to the commission on their experiences and opinions on the plan. Conducting the hearing in Detroit, with options before and after 5pm, opened up access to impacted communities.
On June 6, 2019 DTE Energy returned to the MPSC for the second rate increase in a as may years. This rate case proposes substantial cost increases for residential ratepayers. It also proposes a number of new programs focused on low-income ratepayers of dubious efficacy, in the eyes of many intervenors. It is critical for informed decisions that the commission hear not only from technical experts, but those who stand to be most adversely impacted by these cases. To create that opportunity, we request the following:
- At least one public hearing be scheduled
- At least one such hearing will be held in Detroit, MI
- All public comments be collected, transcribed, and filed in the case docket
- The public be given at least 30 days public notice
- Translation in Spanish and Arabic of the notice of public hearing be provided and published in Spanish and Arabic news sources
- There are two sections for comment, before and after 5pm
- Interpretation services be provided for at the hearing itself, including ASL
- Childcare be provided for at the hearing for parents and guardians wishing to comment
- Location be accessible by public transit and ADA compliant