Jackson Koeppel published 4/16/2021 Statement On DTE Settlement Agreement in What's up at Soulardarity? 2021-04-16 12:58:19 -0400
On Wednesday, DTE Energy publicly filed a proposed settlement agreement in a Michigan Public Service Commission case regarding their clean energy plans. As the result of Soulardarity’s engagement, the agreement includes a low-income renewable energy pilot that, if successful, will lead to three solar projects of over 250 KW being built in Highland Park, Detroit, and River Rouge. While the pilot makes some useful steps, it leaves a lot to be desired from the perspective of racial, economic, and environmental justice and energy democracy.
Soulardarity believes this proposal does not go far enough, and we are clear-eyed about why. DTE continues to spend excessively on fighting locally owned solar, slamming residential ratepayers with rate hikes they can’t afford for some of the worst service in the country, and selling the resulting debt to predatory collection agencies. We expect that DTE will continue to fight efforts for truly community-owned solar, while asking ratepayers to foot the bill for unnecessary fracked gas plants and pipelines.
Soulardarity is hiring two new full-time positions (Deputy Director and Narrative Director) to start by June 1st 2021 as part of a major period of organizational growth and transformation. This packet has everything you need to know to apply. You can reach out to our current Executive Director, Jackson Koeppel, with questions: [email protected]
- Preferred deadline for Applications is April 30th at the latest. We will be considering applicants on a rolling basis.
- Applicants will be scored and interviewed by the Soulardarity staff team. Primary contacts during the hiring process will be the Executive Director (Jackson Koeppel) and Deputy Director (Shimekia Nichols) whose emails are noted above.
- For applicants who proceed to an interview, first round interviews will be held the week of May 3rd. For applicants who proceed to a second interview, those interviews will be held the week of May 10th. Applicants can expect a response or offer no later than May 21st, with a start date of June 1st. Any changes to this schedule will be communicated to applicants.
Join us for our Annual Membership meeting and 2021 Board Elections!!!
Full Agenda Coming Soon!
You may sign up for a Soulardarity membership by completing our form online https://www.soulardarity.com/member. After you complete the form Soulardarity Membership and Resources Organizer, Lex Draper ([email protected]) will call you to securely obtain your payment info. You are also able to pay membership dues online.WHENMay 01, 2021 at 12:30pmWHEREZoom Meeting - RSVP to receive the link to join!
Please use this page to make donations using paypal if you cannot use the credit card feature on the patronicity page. Our preference is for you to make gifts on the campaign directly if you are able: patronicity.com/welitavalon
You can also donate by check and write "We Lit Avalon Contribution" in the memo.Donate
Jackson Koeppel published The Blueprint For Energy Democracy Is Here! in What's up at Soulardarity? 2019-09-20 10:20:44 -0400
Its finally here! The first edition of the Blueprint for Energy Democracy, our plan to make Highland Park a global model for sustainability and self-determination.
Jackson Koeppel donated 2019-09-22 01:04:06 -0400
HOT OF THE PRESSES!
Thanks to member Jocelyn Weidman for her gracious offering of the skillful design of this report!
NEW! FOR LIMITED TIME ONLY!
$50 donations or more will receive a custom
Soulardarity "GET LIT!" mug as a thank you for your support!
We've done incredible things together, from installing solar alley lights to educating our community to holding elected officials accountable. We need all kinds of support to make it happen, and your donations are a critical part of that.
Look below to see what your contributions do for the work in 2020.
- $5 prints 50 flyers for an event
- $15 buys an hour of childcare to make our events more accessible
- $25 supports a subsidized Soulardarity membership
- $50 buys winter weatherization supplies for a household
- $100 buys local, healthy food for a small community meeting
- $250 pays one month’s rent at our office and maintains a safe, community space
- $1000 sends our community leaders to share Highland Park’s story on a national platform
- $5000 keeps a roof over our heads in 2020!
Every gift makes a difference. We also encourage you to become a dues-paying member and add your voice and leadership to our forward motion.
If you want to make a larger donation than this page allows, email [email protected] for instructions.
To donate by check, please make the check payable to Soulardarity and mail it to:Soulardarity21 Highland StHighland Park, MI 48203
Soulardarity is a 501c3 charitable organization. Donations made to Soulardarity are tax-deductible under Soulardarity's EIN: 47-2733535
Jackson Koeppel wants to volunteer 2018-06-12 14:50:42 -0400
National Volunteer Week
is on April 19-25, 2020
We need your help making Highland Park a global model for sustainability, self-determination and energy democracy. The primary task of our volunteers ensures that the needs of the whole are met by the few and dedicated so that collective goals can be achieved with a sense of principled urgency.
Please take a few moments to select your skills and interests below.
Thank you!Become a volunteer
Jackson Koeppel donated 2020-10-29 19:12:48 -0400
Jackson Koeppel endorsed 2017-10-18 19:43:19 -0400
There's a saying that goes: If you aren't at the table, you're on the menu.
Right now, Michigan utility regulators are writing the rules that will determine whether we move towards community-owned clean energy or dirty methane gas. But thus far, there are no requirements that community voices will be heard. Help us tell the Public Service Commission that Michigan citizens - and especially those impacted by pollution, energy poverty, and environmental racism - need our voices heard. Because if we aren't at the table - you know we're on the menu.
If we accept business as usual, we can expect a process driven by big investors and executives leading to more dirty energy, pollution, and poverty. We know that clean energy and efficiency can make power more reliable and affordable, while making jobs and keeping resources in our community. But to get to that future, we need to demand it - and we need a seat at the table.
Sign on and add your own comments below by Friday October 20th
You can Text VOICE to (313) 349-1063 to endorse
**We are requesting an address to verify that signers are Michigan residents. We will only share a zip code in the comments. Your complete address WILL NOT BE SHARED**
Why become a Soulardarity member?
You have a lot on your plate, so choosing to become a Soulardarity member may feel like a difficult decision to make. Here are a few of the key points about the benefits of Soulardarity membership. For more information, go to:
- Participation in decisions about where new streetlights will be located
- Helping to secure proper lighting of streets on your block and in your community.
- Access to resources to reduce heat and light bills in your home through weatherization and do-it-yourself solar projects
- Future opportunities to work together with neighbors to build clean energy in Highland Park which will reduce costs and increase your ability to make decisions about where your power comes from
- Run and vote for Soulardarity’s board of directors and on other membership issues. Elections and most member voting issues will happen during the annual meeting, making it easy to participate and stay informed.
- Ability to call special meetings, vote to remove directors, participate in committees, and otherwise lead and focus Soulardarity’s work
Final voting power on any decision the board of directors makes to:
- sell streetlights or other long-term assets
- change our tax status, dissolve, or change our mission statement
- change the powers of membership
- Opportunity to participate in shared internet at a lower cost with your neighbors
Thank you for your interest in Soulardarity membership! Members are integral to our work. As a member, you can elect the board of directors, participate in committees to direct different aspects of our work, and steer the organization towards our mission of energy democracy in Highland Park. Your membership dues also sustain our operations and help us maintain autonomy and focus on our mission.
Since becoming a membership organization in 2015, our membership model has continued to evolve. Click here to learn more history of the membership model and click here to read the full proposal for the updates approved by the board in 2018.
Here's some of the basics about Soulardarity membership:
DUES: Membership dues use a grassroots fundraising model. We want Soulardarity to truly represent it's members, and the more we raise from membership donations, the more our priorities will be driven the members directly. The minimum annual donation for a member is $10. We encourage members to pledge to give at least $50, which covers the cost of to Soulardarity of an additional member. Using the 2017 budget, we need to raise about $1000 per member. When you fill out your membership form, you will make a pledge for how much you will give, and how much you will fundraise for the year. We encourage members to make a gift that is significant for you, whatever the amount, and makes you fearless in asking others to support our collective work.
VOLUNTEERISM: Soulardarity membership is about collective work and responsibility. If we all pull a little weight, we can do exponentially greater work. Members are encouraged to give a little time and talent every month to help our programs, projects, and organizing move forward.
EXPIRATION AND RENEWAL: Once annually, in the time leading up to the annual meeting, a member renewal form will be sent out to all current members. It will include what you pledge to donate during that year. At the time of any decision or benefit which applies to eligible members, the following will be assessed to determine eligibility:
- Has the member donated at least the $10 minimum in the past 12 months?
- Has the member filled out the renewal form for the current member year (demarcated by the annual meeting)?
MEMBER BENEFITS: Members may from time to time receive special benefits. In 2018, members receive a 6% discount on their PowerUP bulk purchase orders. Other special benefits may arise for all members, or for those donating or fundraising at specific levels.
ACTION GROUPS: Members with ideas and projects are encouraged to form action groups, and will be supported by Soulardarity to see the projects through. Read the action groups summary and download the proposal form here.
MEMBER MEETINGS: Member meetings will occur on a quarterly basis. The schedule and RSVP links for upcoming meetings will be released shortly!