Open Cultural Organizer Position!
Position: Cultural Event Organizer
Location: Flint, MI
Duration: May 15th (or date of hire) through September 30th 2018
Estimated Time Commitment: ~10 hrs/week June and July, ~20 hrs/week August and September
Pay: Commensurate with experience. Hourly range is from $15-$22.5/hr.
Reports to: Jackson Koeppel, Soulardarity (primary contact for contract logistics) and the PCM Coordination Team
- Michelle Martinez and Marnese Jackson - Michigan Environmental Justice Coalition
- Kathryn Savoie - Ecology Center
- Frank Houston - Blue Green Alliance
- Shimekia Nichols - Soulardarity
Description: The local partners of the Michigan People’s Climate Movement (MI PCM) are contracting with an experienced cultural organizer to organize a major cultural event in Flint on September 9th. This event will follow a series of grassroots events throughout Michigan and the Michigan Environmental Justice Coalition’s summit on September 8th. Through a purposeful intersection of art and activism, this cultural event will highlight the PCM narrative of Climate, Jobs, and Justice with a focus on uplifting, strengthening, and building connections between communities of local organizers in Michigan focusing on labor, environmental justice, and other related issues. The cultural event organizer will be responsible for all aspects of the event, coordinating with the MI PCM partners to ensure a successful event with over 2000 people in attendance.
Coordinate all logistics of the cultural event, including:
- Booking space, equipment, facilities, and coordinating with suppliers
- Booking and coordinating with artists and other performers
- Coordinating food and drink vendors
- Day-of coordination of setup, event management, volunteer coordination, and tear down
- Coordinate with Flint partners and PCM partners on messaging, promotion, and day-of coordination of the event
- Create promotional materials for digital and print distribution
- Ongoing coordination with PCM team on local organizing events and MEJC summit to build buzz towards cultural event
- Attend meetings of the coordination team and PCM partners as requested
- Follow up from event and assessment with participants and partners
Payment Logistics: Contractor will be paid through Soulardarity’s payroll system, which is processed on the 1st and 16th of each month. Payment will be based upon the satisfactory completion of hours logs and achievement of work responsibilities as outlined in the work plan. Contractor will need to submit a W9 and signed contract to receive payment.
To apply, please send a short cover letter and resumé to [email protected] with the subject line “PCM Cultural Organizer App: [YOUR NAME]”. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.