RUN FOR THE BOARD
We need dedicated, energized, and excited members to run for 4 open seats on the Soulardarity board in 2018. All members in good standing are eligible to run. Here is some of what we are looking for right now:
- Small business owners in Highland Park and surrounding areas
- Community leaders in the energy democracy or climate justice movement
- Experience with developing policy or fundraising
- Interest in and experience playing board officer roles
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
“Soulardarity's members are doing the crucial work of building community-owned power and energy democracy in Highland Park from the ground up. All of the board members are passionate, intelligent, and constructive individuals. Working with them together on this transformative work is a great joy and honor. Serving on the board is a great opportunity to support Soulardarity's work and gain experience with strategic governance.”
-Paul Chander, 2017 Board Member
The 2017 Soulardarity Board
From left to right, top to bottom: Board Members Reggie Flowers, Frankie Davis, Sharmaine Robinson, Juan Shannon, Paul Chander, Margaret Lewis, Bridgett Townsend, Christine Cowan and Executive Director Jackson Koeppel
Current Board Members
- Bridgett Townsend (President) Highland Park Member (Expires 2018)
- Christine Cowan (Treasurer) Highland Park Member (Expires 2018)
- Ricardo Smith (Member) General Member (Expires 2018)
- Juan Shannon (Member) Highland Park Member (Expires 2019)
- Frankie Davis (Member) Highland Park Member (Expires 2019)
- Sharmaine Robinson (Member) Highland Park Member (Expires 2019)
- Cheryl Sanford (Member) Highland Park Member (Expires 2020)
- Jeremy Orr (Member) General Member (Expires 2020)
- Reggie Flowers (Secretary) General Member (Expires 2020)
Vacancies to be filled until next election (July 2018)
Board Positions to be filled in next election (July 2018)
- Highland Park Member (3-year term)
- Highland Park Member (3-year term)
- General or Highland Park Member (3-year term)
About The Board
Our 9-member Board is democratically elected by the members. Board members serve 3 year terms, with a rotating election cycle so that three new members are elected each year. 6 of the 9 board members must be from the Highland Park membership. Vacancies may be filled by board appointment, with those seats to be included in the next election cycle. Board members may serve up to 2 consecutive terms, of 6 years in total, and are able to run again after a full term of 3 years has passed.
The board of directors governs Soulardarity, advises and holds accountable staff, and represents the members to ensure that the organization is advancing its mission in compliance with the law and the priorities of the membership. This is primarily achieved through the creation, interpretation, and monitoring of policies at monthly meetings. At some meetings, the Executive Director presents updates on day-to-day operations or major decisions for board review, advice, and opinion. The board members, who are a little more removed from the daily operations than the staff, give a second opinion and additional guidance on how the activities of Soulardarity can best further its mission and long-term success.
Soulardarity's board meets once a month, currently the second Saturday of each month, from 3:30 - 7:00pm. The half hour before the meeting is for catching up and then from 4-7pm is the actual meeting. The Executive Director also attends the meetings and makes many of the updates.
Before each meeting, the board president prepares an agenda for items that need to be discussed. Other board officers may need to prepare reports that are to be discussed. Items on the agenda consist of updates about the organizations, such as: new initiatives, budgets, policy governance reports, staffing updates, media mentions, etc.
Board members are expected to be passionate about the mission, able to regularly attend meetings, and devote enough time to complete the additional tasks outside meetings that are important to their role. Board members are encouraged to be involved with Soulardarity in some way, such as: attending member meetings, volunteer events, committee meetings, etc.